QUICK Summer Meal

I love to cook, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate a quick meal that doesn't take all evening to prepare! This is a staple in our home right now- so simple and tasty and soooo quick!!
Here's what you need:

1. Fish (I use Trader Joe's Mahi Mahi burgers- if you don't have access to a Trader Joes, I suggest either mahi mahi filets or salmon for this recipe) **for my vegetarian friends: I love to use Amy's Bistro Veggie Burger as a substitute for the fish- just as yummy!!

2. Haricot Verts. (or regular green beans if you can't find haricot verts). These are finer and more delicate than a regular green bean and cook a little faster. 

3. Russet Potatoes

4. Butter (for both potatoes and for beans)

5. Milk

6. Spices and seasoning. For mashed potato: garlic powder, sea salt and pepper. For haricot verts: Mrs. Dash salt free Lemon Pepper

7. Greek Yogurt (your choice on the percent. I used non-fat)


Rustic Mashed Potato:
(I call these rustic, cuz I leave the skins on)

ingredients: Milk, greek yogurt, spices and butter
 ,
after microwaving potatoes and cooking all the way through (approx. 8 mins) transfer to your mixer. Cut potatoes into smaller chunks with knife so it's easier to mix and it releases the heat of the potatoes. ** You don't need a mixer for this. If you do not have one then use a hand masher- I have done that many times before I got my mixer as a gift)

add butter (approx. 1 tablespoon)

add, salt, garlic powder and pepper. I'm a very intuitive cook, so I hardly ever measure- I just go by taste. I would guess that it's 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon garlic powder and probably 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.

add heaping teaspoon of greek yogurt. This is for creaminess, you don't actually taste it. It gives the potatoes a great texture.

 add milk. Start with maybe a half a cup and add as you go along. This part is all about texture and thickness. If you want thicker mashed potatoes use less milk. 

mash away!!

Buttery Lemon Pepper Haricot Vert:
ingredients: water, butter and lemon pepper seasoning. I use Mrs. Dash

wash the beans. 

in a large saucepan, fill halfway with water and boil. Once water has boiled, add beans.  Boil beans until blanched and partially cooked- about 7-10 minutes.

in large skillet melt butter (about 1/2 tablespoon)

add beans and about 1/4 cup of water

add seasoning.

stir and coat beans with seasoning and butter mixture. cook on high, letting the water/butter mixture bubble and thicken to a "sauce" coating the beans. Once it is no longer watery you are done. :) Easy!
Fish:

this is where I take a break. :) cook your fish however you like. If you get the Trader Joe's Mahi Mahi burgers then just follow the directions on the box. :)


AND you're done!!! Finished product is restaurant ready! :)

husband sized portions! :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts