Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Mushroom Bacon? For Real?

Okay this sounds crazy but yes, mushroom bacon. Is is bacon? No. Is it made from mushrooms? Yes. Does is taste like bacon? YES! I am not a strict vegetarian but I prefer veggie based stuff vs. meat based, so if I can find vegetarian or vegan replacements I will pretty much always go that route. When I heard through a friend of a friend about this meat free "bacon" option, I was all over it! It's so simple and adds so much to anything you would use crumbled bacon bits for.

So here we go!

You will need:
Shitake mushrooms
Olive oil to drizzle
salt to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Clean shitake, ready to go!



Sliced shitake, about a teaspoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Toss.

spread evenly on a cookie sheet.

Bake for approximately 7 minutes. Basically just bake til crispy. Your oven may be hotter than mine, so check at 5 minutes and take it from there. 


I decided to use my crispy mushroom "bacon" on a simple salad with baby romaine lettuce, arugula and delicious ripe avocado. I was fortunate enough to snag an amazing aged balsamic vinaigrette from a local Italian import market before they closed their doors. So a little drizzle of balsamic and there you go!


close up of the delicious crispy mushrooms and avocado.

2 comments:

  1. It is so good Coral!! I've had it a few times this week!! :)

    ReplyDelete