MatchCo- Custom Foundation


I don't often talk makeup on the blog, but when I do it's usually because I really love something. I was inspired to try the MatchCo custom foundation after watching YouTuber Safiya Nygaard try it on her channel. I have a hard time finding the right foundation color for my skin. It's always either too yellow or too dark but if I go lighter then it's too light. The only foundation I've found so far that is an absolutely perfect match for my skin is the Dior DiorSkin Nude Foundation in 020. You're probably asking why I don't just use that and be done with it since it's a perfect match- well I'll tell you why. The lid on the bottle is not removable and once the pump stops dispensing foundation I know for a fact there's still plenty of expensive product left that you just can't get to! It's maddening! I've read on all sorts of forums and reviews how to get the lid off but have been warned many times that the glass bottle can break and I just don't want to be messing around with that. I can't justify spending $50 knowing how much product is getting wasted. 

The MatchCo foundation is also $50 like the Dior but the MatchCo lid opens and I'll be able to use a cotton bud and get every last drop, absolutely none will go to waste. The foundation is oil free, non-comedogenic (no clogged pores, yippee!!) includes hyaluronic acid, moisturizers, peptides, and antioxidants. I have to say it does feel really nice on the skin!

MatchCo uses an app and your smart phone's camera and flashlight to match your exact skin tone. When you download the free app from the App Store they go through the process step-by-step with a video tutorial. The only thing you'll need beyond your phone and a completely bare face is a stack of white paper which you'll use to calibrate your phone. It was such an easy process although I looked like an idiot tapping my phone all over my face. You certainly don't want to do this in public. 

At the end they calculate your match and up comes the photo of your foundation and yes, your name is printed on the bottle! How cool is that? If the foundation in the photo looks obviously off from your skin tone then do the scan process again. I'd say 90% of the reviews I read or watched on YouTube were perfect matches with just a few that had really obvious non-matches. 

I can't even tell you how excited I was when the foundation arrived! I swatched it on my hand and at first I was super bummed cuz it looked too dark and too yellow. I decided to put my skepticism aside because I noticed that everyone seemed to think their foundation wasn't going to match until they put it on their faces and let it react with their body heat. I used my fingers to apply as MatchCo suggests but I went back over my face with the beauty blender sponge as I hate applying my makeup with my fingers. The first thing that I noticed was that it was a pretty darn good match for my skin, but the second thing I noticed was the coverage. The coverage/formula of the foundation is the only negative thing I have to say about MatchCo. The color really is perfect but it's much more sheer and not as long lasting throughout the day as I'd than I like. I don't want a heavy coverage foundation but I certainly don't want to still see my red pimple or the scarring I have around my jawline. Please MatchCo, if you're reading this bring out other formulations/options besides the Hydrating Formula. I still have to use concealer to cover my blemishes and the aforementioned scars with this foundation and fortunately for me I've already managed to find my perfect skin tone match in a concealer. 

The foundation swatched on my inner wrist. Doesn't look like a match but surprisingly it is on my face!

the MatchCo Foundation swatched on the top and my Sephora brand concealer swatched below it. Pretty close and they blend seamlessly on my face.

Without further ado here are the face photos:

I can't believe I'm posting a completely makeup free, unfiltered photo of my face but how else can everyone see the results?

Here I am in all my blemished, sun-spotted, and scarred glory. (Also apparently I didn't rub in my sunscreen around my nose in all of the way? Note to self- don't do that!)

Here's my skin after applying the MatchCo foundation first with my fingers and then a beauty blender sponge. I have also used my concealer on my blemishes. I did not apply any foundation or concealer to my neck. I also used a translucent loose powder because I have combination/oily skin, but the powder truly does not add color.

Here's the finished result with a full face of makeup, completely unretouched, no filters- just me, my skin, and my makeup. 

Left side in natural light. Pretty good match I'd say. Seamless transition from jawline to neck.

And the right side in slightly different lighting.

Overall I'd say that the MatchCo is spot on and completely delivered what was promised. If they just offered a more matte medium coverage formula then I'd be giving the product a 10 out of 10. 

UPDATE: I have made an accidental discovery in prolonging the foundation coverage as the day goes on. The foundation has a lot of movement throughout the day and usually after maybe 5 hours it's non-existent on some parts of my face. I ordered the new Glossier Invisible Shield sunscreen and received it a few days ago. I have found that it acts like a primer and I've noticed a significant difference in the longevity of the foundation on my face the days I used the Invisbile Shield first. So, if you have oily or oily/combination skin like me you might want to consider getting the Glossier Invisible Shield and use it as a primer. After all, adding sunscreen to your daily skincare routine is a good thing so why not kill two birds with one stone?

Use this link and get $10 off your first order of your own custom MATCHCo foundation (!!)



Product information:

MatchCo custom foundation in my custom color (link above)
Glossier Invisible Shield Sunscreen 
Sephora Bright Future gel serum concealer in 05 Parfait
Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder in Translucent
Ulta ultra slim brow pencil in Taupe
MAC pigment in Tan (used as base color on eyes)
MAC eyeshadow in Haux in crease
e.l.f. Bronzing powder from the Contouring Blush & Bronzing Powder palette on cheeks (this is a GREAT dupe for Nars)
Clinique quick liner for eyes in 10 dark chocolate (used in waterline, great because it doens't budge much)
Clinique lash power mascara- long wearing formula in 01 black onyx (I have oily skin and this is one of the few mascaras that doens't end up all around my eyes by the end of the day)
Dior Addict lipstick in 578 Diorkiss

*this post is not sponsored.

Comments

Popular Posts