Citrus Black Bean Taquitos- No frying required

On the advice of a friend I got the Forks Over Knives cookbook earlier this year. This cookbook is a treasure trove of delicious plant based recipes! There are post-it notes sticking out everywhere- I have so much that I want to try!!!

My first recipe adapted from the book was my Pumpkin Pie Smoothie. I decided to sit down with the book and peruse the recipes I tagged to see which would be the winner for that night's dinner. So many sounded good but I was in the mood for something in particular. We are big fans of Mexican cuisine in this household and I wanted to see what Forks Over Knives had to offer in this department. Enter: Citrusy Black Bean Taquitos. Per my usual I didn't stick with the recipe completely. I made my own adjustments after making it the first time and finding the original recipe too sweet and not spicy enough for our liking (the original recipe calls for chilies in adobo sauce. I couldn't find that the first time I made them, which is why it wasn't spicy enough. I was able to find them the second time I made them and the spice was definitely there. After using the chilies in adobo sauce which the original calls for, I've decided I prefer my adaptation). 

After some experimentation with spices and additives this recipe was a hit and will be my go-to again and again! Please note that this recipe could be vegan without my addition of the greek yogurt to the avocado/gaucamole- the greek yogurt is completely unnecessary to the end result if you need to be non-dairy. Also it can be gluten free by using corn tortillas without any addition of wheat (apparently not all corn tortillas are strictly corn!)- or any type of gluten free tortilla that you like.



What you need:
(makes 7 slightly larger taquitos or 8 medium sized. original recipe was doubled and said it served 4)

1- large yellow onion, peeled and diced
2- cloves of garlic, minced
1- teaspoons ground cumin
1/2- 4oz can of green chilies
zest and juice of 1 orange
1-15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1- teaspoon chili powder
1/2- teaspoon paprika
a pinch cayenne pepper
drizzle (approximately 1/2 teaspoon) of hot sauce of your choice- to taste. (we use Pico Pica Taco Sauce in Mild)
cilantro (optional)
1- avocado
1- small container of fat free plain greek yogurt (optional)


What You Do:

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F.

mash avocado and about 1 tablespoon of the plain greek yogurt in the bowl. I like to add garlic salt, but you can add whatever seasoning you prefer in your guacamole. Just make it to your liking. You can reserve some of the plain greek yogurt for dipping in place of sour cream if you choose as well.
Set aside.



Saute the diced onions in a dry pan (no oil) over medium heat. Add water 2 tablespoons at a time to keep the onions from sticking to the pan. Saute for approximately 8 minutes. Add minced garlic and saute another minute.



Add orange juice, orange zest, chilies, spices, hot sauce, and black beans to the onion/garlic mixture. Stir and heat for another few minutes to combine the flavors.




Pour the black bean mixture in a blender or food processor, . *Optional- add cilantro. 
Puree until mixture is combined but not too smooth- you want to keep it slightly chunky. 

In a small dry skillet heat a stack of corn tortillas to soften.



Add about 2 tablespoons of the black bean mixture to one side of tortilla, roll and place with the fold side down.




With taquitos rolled, lightly mist with cooking spray. I use an olive oil mister that I have. You only need to lightly spray them, just enough to crisp the tortillas up in the oven. Put in oven uncovered. Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until your taquitos are crisp.




Add guacamole and salsa on top or on the side for dipping. 

So delicious and not too bad for you!

Comments

Popular Posts