Salted Chocolate Chip Rolo Cookies



photos copyright @cheerupoldbean, Leah Grantham. 

I have a great recipe for salted chocolate chip cookies that I've modified from a Bon Appetit recipe, that has been a real go-to for me. This time I decided to jazz it up and modify the original recipe even more. My husband had been eating rolos which gave me the idea to chop them up and add them to the salted cookies I was already making for my co-worker Maggie's birthday. 

My biggest tip before you start this recipe is to freeze the rolos- this makes them easy to chop into quarters (or halves if you want big chunks of caramel).


What you need:

1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt (I use sea salt- this is not the salt on top of the cookie, this goes in the dough)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter (do yourself a favor and use good butter like Kerry Gold- you'll taste the difference!)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar (I use caster sugar, also called baking sugar)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
Semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use half a bag of ghiradelli semi sweet- use more if you like)
Rolo candies. I used two of the small individual sized bags of the mini rolos which is probably the equivalent to 2-3 rolls of the regular sized rolos.
Maldon flake salt. (This is the salt for the top of the cookies)
parchment paper for baking on


What you do:

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. 

In a mixer, by hand or hand held mixer cream the butter. Make sure your butter isn't too soft- this will result in flat cookies. I find that my butter is best taken out of the fridge and left for about 10-15 minutes at room temp before I use it. Add brown sugar and mix, then add the granulated sugar. Mix and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add egg. Mix and add vanilla. 

In a medium sized bowl mix dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. I always use a whisk to mix my dry ingredients well before adding them to the wet mixture. 

Slowly add the dry ingredients to the creamed butter mixture. When the dough is fully mixed then add the chocolate chips and chopped rolo candies to the dough. I do this on a low speed on my mixture but you can fold them in by hand if you want. 

Here's my other tip for this recipe: refrigerate the dough (or if you're impatient like me, put it in the freezer). Normally I don't do this and completely ignore it when recipes tell you to do this. I made a batch straight away without refrigerating and some of the caramel leaked out of the cookies while they baked. I put the dough in the freezer for about 10 minutes and made a second batch. This time the caramel stayed within the cookie and were perfect!

My final tip, and this goes for every single cookie recipe: parchment paper on your cookie sheets. I swear by this. 

Scoop cookie dough onto parchment lined cookie sheets and either use the back of a spoon or your clean hand and press the dough ball a bit flat. Sprinkle the cookies with a decent amount of maldon flake salt. Place cookie sheet in pre-heated oven and bake cookies for about 10 minutes. I watch my cookies closely and check them around 8 minutes in case I've made them smaller than usual. They're ready to take out when they start to turn *lightly golden brown at the edges. I take my cookies out and keep them on the cookie sheet for about a minute before transferring them to a cooling rack.     

Let cool and enjoy!




Want another seriously decadent cookie recipe for chocolate lovers? Try my take on Tanya Burr's Triple Chocolate Cookies found HERE



Comments

Popular Posts