Triple Chocolate Toffee Cookies



photos copyright: @cheerupoldbean, Leah Grantham

If you thought my last cookie creation was decadent be prepared for these sumptuous, rich chocolate cookies! The original recipe is from Tanya Burr's cookbook: Tanya Bakes, Triple Chocolate Cookies page 38. I have modified her recipe just slightly, a little bit for personal taste and a little bit because she's in the UK with different things available to her. I will put her in original instructions/ingredients in case you want to try hers or make your own modifications from the original- I indicate wherever I've modified the recipe. Tanya uses grams as a measurement for all of the ingredients- I've noticed this is common in UK recipes and that the ingredients are measured with a digital food scale. I happen to own one (you should too- great investment for the kitchen! You can get one for well under $40 HERE), so I follow the recipes as they are written but I've researched and added the US cups/tablespoons/teaspoons equivalents for my US readers or those without a food scale.

*(By the way, I was re-reading her recipe in preparation for this blog post and I noticed in the introduction to these cookies she mentions adding Rolos. I promise this wasn't the reason why my last cookie recipe (HERE) has Rolos in them- I didn't read this recipe until a week after I made those cookies- just pure coincidence, I would have absolutely credited Tanya if she had inspired the addition of that candy to the cookie mix, but alas it was my husband who gets all the credit. But, I like to think that great baking minds think alike!)


What you need:

200 grams of butter. (I used salted Kerry Gold)- for those of you that don't have a digital food scale this equals approximately 13 tablespoons of butter. 

300 grams of caster sugar *300 grams= 1 1/2 cups (this is fine baking sugar. You can create this out of granulated sugar by putting it in the food processor. You can find this sugar easily at the grocery store though.)

1 large egg

275 grams of self rising flour. *275 grams of flour= 2 cups. If you don't have self rising flour use 2 cups of all purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt. I found this ratio worked well for me and created the cookies in the above photos.

75 grams of cocoa powder. *75 grams= 2/3 cup. 

100 grams each of white, milk and dark chocolate. *100 grams= 2/3 cup of each. This is one of the modifications that I made- I left out the milk chocolate. White chocolate is quite sweet and with the addition of toffee I didn't want to overpower this cookie by adding another sweet addition. I used half a bag of semi sweet chocolate chips and half a bag of white chocolate chips. You can obviously use more chocolate if you want- do it to your own taste. 

A dash of milk. This is an optional method. It's only recommended if your dough mix is too crumbly. I'm not a fan of adding milk to my cookie recipes so I left it out. I didn't find my mix too dry without it. 

3- Dime (Daim) bars. This is a UK candy (found HERE). I researched it and apparently it's very similar to Heath Bars and Skor bars here in the US. I was planning on buying Heath bars but noticed that Heath makes just the toffee bits which can be found in the area where you find chocolate chips. I used half a bag of these toffee bits.

Maldon flake salt- (completely optional)
Parchment paper



What you do:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. (For those in the UK it'll be 200 degrees C or GM6)

Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. This is optional but SO recommended. I won't bake cookies without it.

Cream the butter, then add sugar. Beat until smooth. Add egg and again beat until smooth and kind of fluffy.

In a medium size bowl mix the dry ingredients together. (Flour, salt, baking powder and cocoa powder). Slowly add the dry ingredients to the creamed butter mixture. This is where Tanya recommends adding a splash of milk if necessary.  I did not add this. 

Add chocolate and toffee to dough on low speed or by hand. 

Tanya says to divide dough into 10 balls- this would be quite big cookies so I didn't do that. I made smallish golf ball sized balls and gently squashed them a little. On some of the cookies I added toffee bits and flake salt to the top before baking. This is optional. The cookies are delicious both ways.

Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes depending on the size of cookie you are baking. I baked mine for 10 minutes and then kept them on the warm cookie sheet for anothe minute after I took them out of the oven. Transfer to a cooling rack and enjoy.

These were a hit and sure to make any chocolate lover happy! Thank you Tanya Burr for the inspiration and original recipe! Tanya has also featured this cookie recipe on her YouTube channel (with different chocolate bars) if you'd like to see how she makes the original recipe. (found HERE)

Want another truly scrumptious cookie recipe? Try my Salted Chocolate Chip Rolo Cookies!

Comments

Popular Posts