Detoxing With Whole Foods: Week 3- The Finish

I'm officially done with the detox, but you know what? I'm sticking with it, or at least still sticking with it 95% of the time. This is by far the best detox I've done- it was the easiest and I felt the best. No headaches, no stomach aches, no fatigue or grumpiness. My only symptom was boating, but that went away after week one. All in all, this one's a keeper and definitely prompted a lifestyle change. Way more veggies, gluten free grains and legumes, and definitely no pre-made convenience meals. The only bummer? The time is takes to make all of my meals and snacks from scratch and the cost. Let's be honest here, it's not cheap to eat organic produce, but I'm prioritizing and choosing to save money other places in order to get my produce. I'm not gonna lie, it smarts to spend $40 at the local farmers market for produce that will only last 2 or 3 days max.

So now that I'm at the end of the official 21 days let me share the remaining recipes with you. Definitely keepers in my book!!

Breakfast remained the same because I'm a creature of habit. Nothing new to share there. What is new? Lunch, dinner and a new juice that tastes like dessert!!

Juice/Breakfast:

Orange, pineapple, carrot.  Packed with vitamin C this juice tastes more like dessert!




















Orange, pineapple, carrot juice

2 large oranges
3 medium sized pineapple spears
2 large carrots

Put ingredients through juicer, stir and enjoy!



Lunch:

Black bean, brown rice, avocado and kale bowl. I was inspired by the black bean avocado taco recipe from earlier in the week. I wanted to make it more convenient for brining with me to work and this is what I came up with.

























Black Bean Avocado Kale Brown Rice Bowl

1/2 cup cooked black beans
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 avocado
2-3 leaves of kale, de-stemmed and torn into medium sized pieces
salt, cumin, garlic powder, and pepper to taste.
lemon juice to taste.
approximately 1/2 teaspoon olive oil

In a bowl mash avocado with salt, cumin, garlic powder, pepper and lemon juice. The flavor of this is your preference. Some will like more cumin, while others prefer more garlic or lemon. Make this to suit your personal tastes. In a medium skillet heat olive oil. I used a Misto for my olive oil so I'm guessing at the measurement. Toss in kale and saute until kale is wilted. Personally I like it make it a bit crunchy, so I do a higher heat. In a bowl combine ingredients. Add hot sauce or salsa if desired. YUM!!!!



Dinner: Stuffed Acorn Squash.





















1 acorn squash, cut in half, seeds removed
3 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 large onion, diced
1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
1/3 cup cooked white beans
1/3 cup cooked quinoa
1 cup chopped kale


Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Brush acorn squash with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place cut side down in baking dish, roast for about 30 minutes, until tender. Flip over and set aside

add 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet. Heat over medium heat, add diced onion to skillet. Cook stirring until tender, about 6 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Cook until kale starts to wilt- about 2 minutes.

Divide stuffing between two halves and return to oven, roasting an additional 15-20 minutes, until golden.


So those are my final recipes from the detox. All in all it was a great experience! I'm so happy to have learned some new things, added some new recipes to my regular rotation and included fresh juice into my diet. I hope I have inspired you to kick start a new way of healthy eating, or even just introduced you to a new recipe or two!

Comments

Popular Posts