Touching Strangers

I wasn't expecting much from this video, but I found myself smiling as I watched and then becoming touched. So touched that I had to share it with you.

Photographer Richard Renaldi takes strangers from the streets of New York and asks them to pose as family members, loved one, couples and friends. He takes a very awkward situation and finds the beauty and somehow captures the subjects at ease. My absolute favorite is the poetry teacher and the 95 year old retired fashion designer. Something about that picture really touched my heart and struck a chord! You'd never guess that 60 seconds earlier they were complete strangers.

I found myself thinking as I watched this video- how would I feel if he approached me and asked me to  stand close and even entwine myself with a stranger? I'd be hesitant and nervous and for sure there would be a nervous giggle, but I'd like to think that I'd do it. After watching this I really feel like the people had a connection, if just for a brief moment. It's as one subject put it: "We are probably missing so much about the people all around us." She's right.

Do yourself a favor and watch the video and then do yourself another favor and check out his website for more pictures of Touching Strangers. It's moving in a subtle way and if nothing else you just might smile!






*thank you Carrie Skelton and Shawn Hafley for both posting this and introducing me to this wonderful project.

Comments

Popular Posts