Transitioning Summer Clothes To Fall


California is known for having mild fall weather so it's pretty easy to transition your summer clothes into fall.  I challenge myself every year to take my favorite pieces from the warmer months and make them work when it starts to cool down. This works even if you're not in a mild fall/winter climate- heavier tights, a few more layers, perhaps some wool socks instead of cotton, a cozy scarf or knit hat? It can definitely be made to work. Below are three outfits I wore this week that each contained at least one item of clothing that was meant for warm weather- pieces I wasn't willing to part with even with 30 degree mornings

1.

First up is my t-shirt dress- a lightweight cotton, with short sleeves. Worn on it's own it was perfect when the temp got over 90 degrees. Paired with sandals (and in my case a pair of rolled up, lightweight skinny jeans) it was great in hot weather. How did I transition to fall? A pair of thick, opaque leggings, boots, and my trusty denim jacket made this outfit both comfortable and cute. 

outfit details:

T-shirt dress: Target found HERE
Denim Jacket: JCrew similar HERE
Leggings: Costco (yes!)
Boots: Dansko Nena boot (no longer available, BUT can be found on ebay)
Necklace: Susanne Bjornson, local boutique

2.

This outfit is perfect for a dreary day. You can't be afraid of bold colors if you're going to pull something like this out of your closet, but I promise if you do you'll make people smile. This short sleeved, crop sweater has just been sitting in my closet waiting for the temp to drop! While not exactly a summer piece the short sleeves don't lend itself entirely to fall. The skirt was a late summer staple for me with bare legs and sandals. I just couldn't wait to break out my tights! Combine this with a coat or a cardigan and you're totally set for a brisk day!

outfit details:

Nesting Doll Sweater: From local consignment store Curio, but originally at Urban Outfitters- brand: Cooperative (local? follow Curio on Instagram for outfit inspiration and deals @curioslo)
Skirt: the Cassie by Lularoe (a little tip: to customize length and make it more flattering with tall boots- pull up above knees and fold over waistband.)
Tights: Urban Outfitters, found in store only
Boots: Steve Madden Intyce in stone (now only available in black or brown HERE)

3.


































Take a sleeveless summer babydoll dress, add tights, boots and a cardi- you're set! This babydoll dress is not only sleeveless but it has a cutout on the upper back making it a great warm weather dress- however- I love it too much to relegate it to just hot days. Opaque tights, tall riding boots and a long cardigan helped to transition this favorite to fall. (want to fool everyone into thinking you have a crazy fake tan? wear these tights lol!)

outfit details:

Dress: Target
Cardigan: Target similar HERE
Tights: Urban Outfitters, found in store only
Boots: Bandolino-mine happen to be wide calf for my "athletic calves" as they say, (similar found HERE, all Bandolino and all on sale!!!) 


I hope this has inspired you to try to carry your summer pieces over into fall and winter. It's amazing what a pair of thick tights and boots can do for you. Not only do you get to continue to wear your favorite pieces but it saves money in the process. 

Comments

Popular Posts